The Hammond Family shared a box of old information of various kinds with the SBHS. Among them was a group of handwritten notes from the patriarch Willis Hammond who built his cottage at SB in 1924.

He had a reputation as a local historian and was often invited to speak at gatherings and meetings. Below are some interesting facts about early life in the area. Note that most excerpts are from Willis Hammond’s handwritten notes and are noted in quotation marks. Details (e.g. names, dates and locations) are not complete because he used them as outlines for his speeches. Some other excerpts are from other sources also found in the Hammond box and are noted individually. Also included are a few pertinent oral recollections noted by Willis’ grandson Chris Mirra, and other locals for verification and interest.
History related:
- “In 1681, a William Penn Grant was made to Alexander Draper, a prominent local landowner. An early name on local maps was “Doctor’s Island”.
- Mispillion Creek: Used by Oliver and Thorne prior to 1791 for transport of Milford farmers’ produce and mill products, using their own vessels to ship out to the wharves and landings along the River. Reference: Milford Hist. Soc. Newsletter Apr1987.
- The “Old Bar Room” (associated with the Hotel from late 1800s into early 1900s and sometimes referred to as the Old Dance Hall) was moved by Tom Simpson to the dune in 1922 and split to become the first 2 houses on the South End. Then a tenant house that was moved from one of the Simpson farms became the 2nd Bar Room, also known as Wyatt’s Dance Hall.
- Rum Running during Prohibition: “At night, we often heard machine gun fire on the Bay, as they chased rum runners on their way to Atlantic City. Some boats would run onto the Bay Beaches at night at high tide and unload, then trucks would come to pick up at low tide. Stories were told of a boat crashing through the bridge at Fowler Beach; and loads were known to be landed at the Pier at Slaughter Beach, the wharves along the Mispillion River, and even in buildings in Milford.”
- Shrimp story: “in the 30s, some fisherman who were seining on the beach caught a lot of what they called “bugs”. A lady on the beach asked if she could have some because they were Shrimp! That was the only time they ever heard of shrimp being caught in the Bay.”
- Early “Big Thursday” celebrations evolved into a more modern carnival, with rides at the Tennis Courts and Hydroplanes (speed boats with fans) racing over the Bay. (per Chris Mirra memory)
Stores and Businesses:
- First Store? Robert H. Pierce: Born 1863 on the family farm in Cedar Neck, attended a one-room school taught by Thomas Wilson. Pierce had a grocery career in Milford early 1900s as a store owner, including a grocery store in the old Cedar Beach Hotel, catering to army personnel at nearby Fort Saulsbury (circa 1918). Later opened a store in Slaughter Beach (date and location unknown). Source: Milford Historical Society, Newsletter April,1987.
- “Fertilizer Factory: Tom Simpson had a place on the Canal where he had horseshoe crabs ground up for fertilizer. Paid 1 cent for small crabs and 2 cents for large females.”
- “Wyatt sold ice cream and Millman sold crabs for 5c. each.”
- “Commercial fishing: Clarence Plummer and Ed Deputy”.
- “Boat Rentals on the beach: B. Hitch (located north of now Fire Hall, pull boat into the water yourself. And Ed Ingram (south end SB)”
- Personal notes from the 1960s: Chris Mirra remembers the Hitchens family: father Lemuel Sr. “Scorchy” had a grocery store starting in the 1930s, sold Sunbeam bread, milk, and candy. Had a pinball machine and jukebox and always wore black pants and suspenders. Son Junior (Lemuel Jr.) had a well known liquor store, with the coldest beer anywhere, kept it on crushed ice. Had a gun mounted over the counter, and a phone booth outside the store.
- Charter Boats at Cedar Creek Adams Wharf circa 1967 and later, per Judy Adams.
- Bait Stores: Approximately 1950s, ‘60s and later per Mike Erisman:
- Dot’s at the Harbor near the Lighthouse
- Cedar Creek Bait and Tackle on Lighthouse Road near Boat Launch,
- Brownie’s on Cedar Beach Road, near Shockley crossroad into early 2000s?
Infrastructure:
- “Boardwalk: Around the time of incorporation (1931?), the first boardwalk was built. A local lumber dealer got a load of spruce, both posts and planks, from the west coast, which he sold the folks at cost. Each family put up their own, and we had a mile of uniform boardwalk and had lights installed. Also, we had a fine pier which extended several hundred feet into the Bay.”
- “Pavilion: when assets of Hotel Corp were sold to George Draper, the old pavilion was sold, raised, and moved next door and made into apartments. A new pavilion was built.”
- “Jetties: To stop erosion, jetties were built while Ed Evans was Mayor. Later more sand was pumped in by the State twice. Grass was planted to hold the sand. Also, Pine trees were given to plant to help stabilize the beach.”
- “Water: First water system for the Hotel was a wooden tank on posts, filled by a Windmill. If a house hooked up to it, you paid $10/year.”
Information compiled by Diane McFaul Hindman, SBHS, with thanks for much help from Chris and Renee Mirra, 2024.